I haven't gone to church for a really long time. I didn't really see a point to going after January 2011. I mean, every week I went, I was told how awful I was, how I wouldn't get to be with my family forever, and how my mom is going to go to outer darkness. According to the Church Handbook I can't participate in church either. I can go, sure, but I can't make comments in class, pray out loud, read scripture passages out loud, lead the music, hold a calling, take the sacrament, give a talk in church, give a lesson... So what is the point in going?
On Friday we had the annual family Christmas party. My dad was in charge of going to get my aunt who is in a nursing home after she broke her hip, and both legs. She has to stay in this giant reclining chair with wheels and the only way to get her from the home to my house is to take the van, take all the seats out of it, lift my aunt and her giant chair into it, and then take her out once we get to where we are going; this process took five full grown men on Thanksgiving. On Friday, my dad, my brother, and my boyfriend were the only ones here who could go get her. My dad had been planning on my cousin and uncle to help him but my cousin was late and my uncle's plans had changed. So, my dad called his home teacher and asked for his help, and the home teacher said yes. And then my dad called our neighbor and asked him to come help, and our neighbor said yes. The sense of community and friendship that I got from that was overwhelming and I started to miss what going to church brought into my life: friends, people I could count on.
While I was at work last night I couldn't stop thinking about all of the fun times I had at my student ward while I was living in the Big White House (not in DC, but on 9th North). The enrichment activities that would start out as a skill building project but dissolve into talks of boys and school while we ate. The family home evening nights spent watching movies or playing games. I miss having a large group of friends my age that I can just call up and hang out with.
But since I'm living at home now, the singles ward that I should/would go to if I started going back will be filled with people I went to high school with and, God bless their (or mine) heart(s), I don't want to be around them. Their first impression of me isn't the person I am now, but rather the one they met when we were 14 or 15, and I am not that person any more. And besides, those people didn't want to hang out with me, or be my friend in high school, why would they want to be my friend now? (Yeah, I know, that's presumptuous, judgmental, and hypocritical.)
Another reason I'm reluctant to go back is because I'm not the same Mormon I was a year ago. I don't want to repent for my sins because they aren't sins to me. And as I said earlier, I can't participate in all of the regular parts of church unless I repent... Aw, the conundrum. I wish all of the Mormons who were like me, the uncorrelated, the Dehlinites, the unorthodox, could recognize each other in a meeting. Like having a sign over our heads that only we can see, so that we can identify each other, sit by each other, and support each other, because, quite honestly, our struggles are just a little different from an orthodox Mormon's.
Oh well, wishful thinking I guess. Who knows what will happen in the future. Until then, I have a great family, and a really wonderful boyfriend who loves me.
Here's some food for thought. No that I'm as intellectual or intelligent for that matter as you are, but the church is something I've always held dear to my heart. It has taken a long time for me to gain my own testimony and to feel the way I do about it... a lot of that came because I'm a mom now. Anyway, my point is I too have felt that way at church. Sitting in the meetings thinking to myself, "great, one more thing to add to the list of things I'm not doing that I should be." Sitting down with Jed and having a chat about this lengthy list and how horrible I felt he put it to me in a way I had never thought about it before. The church doesn't do or say those things to make you feel bad. Those things that are said are in a sense there to PROMOTE CHANGE. All I'm saying is it's normal and don't give yourself such a hard time about it. We are all meant to grow and change and learn from the past and move on. Love U!
ReplyDeleteThe gospel is all about Love and FORGIVENESS. I feel so sad that you have not learned that, because "men" and "women" are mortal, and are narrow-minded at times. The question is who are you doing it for? Do you go to church for social activity (talks, commenting in class, leading music), or to connect with God? (why am I here, what is the point, prayer inside, believing you will receive answers.) Do you think that the people sitting in the congregation with you are "not like you?" because of what you SEE on the outside? Would having an "unorthodox mormon" to sit by make you feel God's love for you? Would knowing all the dirty little secrets of the lady next to you make you feel your own value in God's eyes, and make you understand the point of it ALL?
ReplyDeleteIf Jesus Christ and what he did for you has no value in your moral compass, then why bother going to church? Regardless though, he will love you forever. You can't learn the truth if you are looking in the wrong places because it is easier.
It is a good thing that you are not the same person you used to be. We learn and we grow and that is the point of the journey. We all make mistakes. (Big ones too...drugs, sex, alcohol, out of wedlock births, etc.)...all of us have had our own fair share of temptation and trials. No one but God knows what will happen to loved ones who make other choices. V will be measured according to God's standard and I believe in a merciful loving God. Random jerks from church can't say where she is going after she dies, no one else knows. Screw them.
ALso: Hit this link if you have time. I am 30 and it literally changed the way I see repentance. Remember that God (not people or your ward or those you knew back when) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS LOVES YOU, regardless of what you do. Our performance does NOT equal worth.
http://byutv.org/watch/49475abb-10d4-4f45-a757-7000b9945468
Brad Wilcox talk from 7/12/11