Sunday, December 11, 2011

organized religion

Organized religion scares the g**-d*** f*** right out of me! I came to this realization while I was standing in front of the Salt Lake Temple, surrounded by my friends as the lights twinkled from every tree. I was staring up at that huge marble building from the reflecting pool, where many newly sealed couples take their pictures, and all I could think about was how the Mormon Church terrorizes its followers into submission. They dichotomize neighborhoods, schools, and families. They hold your eternal salvation hostage in exchange for your money and complete obedience to anything and everything they say. If you show up to church on Sunday with multiple piercings, high-tops, and a black dress, you will be treated differently. You will become the ward project and they will try to get you to take out your piercings, wear tasteful flats, and a pastel dress with complimentary jewelry. And if you don't, if you tell them that you aren't interested, they will tell you that you will not be allowed to enter the highest echelon Heaven and you will be separated from all those you love; at death, you will part.

Since the dawn of time people have killed in the name of God. Raped in the name of God. Committed infanticide in the name of God. Religion is used has a political tool to abuse countless billions and take from them their rights to a happy life, free from terror.

Who gave them the right to do that?! Nobody! My mother always said, "They only have as much power over you as you give them." They, the Church, any church, no longer have power over me.

Now the only trick is to decided what my belief system is...

6 comments:

  1. Me, I had the same kind of thinking chain that you did, and I've decided that I'm Christian first, Mormon second. And, a distant second, at that. And, since I've made that decision I have felt a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dealing with organized religion is tricky. I do personally feel it still has importance in my life. What's the sound of one hand clapping?

    The tension comes from wanting to practice your own spirituality in a community of believers when that community by-and-large subscribes to rigid interpretations of the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've stepped in it now! And very articulately, I might add!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'll comment that while we Mormons see all that, somehow you've forgotten the rule-- never say it out loud.

    I hope you feel better and I hope the Mormons reading it feel better, too. SOMEONE said it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, my darling friend, I'll love you forever, no matter what you believe. But I am sorry you feel that you have been terrorized. I guess I can't sympathize, because the Gospel has brought me nothing but peace, but I hope you find something that rings true to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry, Erin. But I hope you find something that brings you peace and helps you strive to be your best. I love you!

    ReplyDelete