In a desperate attempt to find online resources for people who aren't necessarily the strongest in the Church but want to get stronger, I found MormonMatters.Org, a site that discusses Mormon topics ranging from cultural to theological. The members that speak on the podcasts are devout, faithful members who don't always see eye-to-eye with the men in Salt Lake, just like me! It was a relief to find this site and realize that I wasn't alone in thinking that the good brethren sometimes don't understand the people they are leading.
The first podcast I listened to was about about the young single adults (YSA's) of the Church and what may be effecting their rate of inactivity [click here to find it], which was quoted at being at a rate of 80%. One of the big things that they talked about was how the things taught in the Church are the same for the twelve year olds as it is for the eighteen year olds, which leads to unanswered questions and frustrated learning. Once a youth turns eighteen, they take their leave of the Church because they don't feel that it satisfies their religious needs.
Another thing that was talked about was the big push to get the YSA's married because the Church knows how to better identify with married members than it does single members. But this big push for marriage isn't having the effect they want it to have. This generation is one that has seen terrible amounts of divorce and tough economic times which often shoots the "if you are a good member everything will turn out perfect" argument right in the foot! 20'somthings are going to college and leaving with more debt then they can off in five years, which is not conducive to a good marriage environment. And please don't get me started on the lack of marriage preparation the Church offers to its young members. One of the things that was brought up in this podcast was that there are plenty of good, faithful members who are working in the fields of Marriage & Family Therapy (my chosen field), Sex Therapy, Psychology, Sociology and Human Development who could help create a good marriage education curriculum built not just on gospel principles but also on proven marriage improvement techniques.
In conjunction with the topic of marriage preparation, sexual education was also brought up, or the lack there of. Humans are naturally curious and naturally sexual yet for the most part the Church has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy on the whole thing, which leads to teens and 20'somethings going elsewhere for their education. Sometimes they find good quality information that quenches their curiosity and they don't have any problems. More often they glean their information from peers, porn, and the media, all quality sources *sarcasm* I purpose that if the Church were more open about it, more willing to talk about it, then it wouldn't be such a big problem, but I could be wrong.
The one thing that I ask of the Church (if anyone important is reading this, which is doubtful) is that they revamp the Young Men/ Young Women manuals to exclude the lessons on chastity that include the Half-Eaten Cookie Story (or any version there of), or stories of how you are better of dead then to lose your virginity under any circumstance. Fear is NOT a good motivator to do good.
Chances are I will be blogging about what I read and listen to from this podcast site- I think it's good stuff!
PS- "millennial thinking" is in reference to my generation, commonly referred to as the Millennial Generation. One of the things discussed in the podcast was that those who are members of this generation are more technologically savvy which means they have access to more information that ever before, which leads to more questions that Church leaders have a hard time answering.
The Half Eat Cookie Story:
ReplyDeleteThe teacher walked into the classroom and put a tray of cookies onto the table. "Does anyone want a cookie?" she asked. We perked up in our seats, class was always easier to endure when the teacher brought food, but something was amiss. Upon further inspection, the cookies were half-eaten, broken and sprinkled with dirt. "Anyone?" When no one answered, she nodded and said, "That's right, no one wants a dirty, half-eaten cookie." And that, my friends, is how I learned not to have sex.
ERIN!!!! I want to say soooo many things!!! But I will refrain (unless you want more then ask me) and only say 3 things (because I CAN'T resist!!):
ReplyDelete1- Read 2 Timothy 3:7, and really apply that...
2- It isn't the church's responsibility to educate its youth about sex any more than it is the CDC's fault that people choose not to become vaccinated. It would take away the agency and stewardship we, as parents have over our children if they did what we are SUPPOSED to do. Most families are uncomfortable talking about it though, but that doesn't make it okay for you, or anyone to blame the "Church", for a lack of education when that responsibility CLEARLY falls on the shoulders of parents. Also, did you ever ask more serious probing questions of that cookie teacher? If not, it is as much your issue for not asking, as her issue for not telling. If any teacher tries to educate my kid, I will loose the plot because that is a convo that I consider to be sacred and special and I want it to come from me, not someone random person.
3- It isn't a "push" to be married b/c the church identifies with married's better,...are you INSANE?!! (Are we talking about the same church here??!!) The purpose of life, is to experience joy and learn to love. A thing we cannot obtain or understand without families and bodies. To get a body we need parents, and for the kid to have the best chances, the parents ought to be married. (Read this months Ensign p.13) Being married and being a mother are the greatest things I will EVER DO IN THIS LIFE. No where in church doctrine does it say that "if you are a good member, everything will turn out perfect" but the gospel gives us the parameters that, if we live by, we have the GREATEST CHANCE at happiness. Bad things happen, they WILL happen, plan on it, but happiness isn't determined by outside forces...it is what you do with the bad things that matters. Besides, there are people who live the gospel, are happy, and live with and experience things that you or I will never understand the horror of. Criminy Sakes Girl!!