Wednesday, April 27, 2011

door-to-door summer sales

My manager has been trying to encourage me to tell myself that I will make lots of sales and do great this summer and he doesn't understand why I always say "maybe" or "I hope so." Well this is why.

I don't want to build it up in my head that I'll do great over this summer and have it flop flat on it's face. I don't want to think that I'll come home with $10,000 only to come home with $4,000. I fear that this job is going to be so rough and tough that I go home crying after six days.

Every time I tell someone that I'm going to do door-to-door summer sales 99% of the time I get the same are-you-crazy-you're-gonna-have-a-horrible-summer-look on their face. I've had people say, "You are so brave, I could never do that," or "Wow, good luck!! *eye roll*" Not once have I told someone and had them say, "You're gonna do great! You'll have a lot of fun!" Okay, that's a lie, one person has said that to me. Kyrstal, and she did the same program last year, but she's the only one.

I know I should be able to "fill my own bucket" and such but it's hard when everyone pokes holes in it faster than I can patch them up.

I'm losing my nerve and starting to regret this job. But I'm in for the long haul; it's too late to find another job. I sure hope that I do well at this and that it is fun and rewarding...

Some encouraging words would be nice... and yes, I'm fishing for them.

1 comment:

  1. They KEY to being successful at sales jobs of any kind (especially door to door ones) is confidence. You have to have confidence in your abilities to sell it. I had the same job 2 summers in a row, the first year, crappy pay because I was so nervous and had an "I can't do this" attitude. The second year, I hit the jack pot because I decided it wasn't personal and that I could do it. Confidence baby. Confidence.

    ReplyDelete