Sunday, November 28, 2010

pre-marital education

I am morbidly fascinated with marriage, divorce, remarriage, and blended families. For my career I would like to be a pre-marital educator and form and implement my own program in Utah. I firmly believe that people, especially young Mormon couples, have a hard time understanding what marriage entails and that pre-marital education would arm them with the skills and knowledge necessary to survive the turbulence of married life. The four major things I would teach in my program are conflict resolution, finances, intimacy, and parenting. I would not be teaching only one way to do any one of these things, but several ways to do them that could be mixed and matched to fit someone's situation. I would also like to work with the LDS Church in bettering their various forms of marriage education. I believe that if a couple goes through some sort of pre-marital education, and knows that they have the skills to make it through tough times, then they will have significantly lower chances of divorcing and higher chances of being willing to work through things.

What do you think of pre-marital education?
Would you do a class with your fiance?
What would you like to learn in this sort of class?

No comments:

Post a Comment