Friday, February 18, 2011

god made me do it

Does the presence of religion really make you a better person? Is it the idea of Divine Judgment that inspires us to do good? If you didn't have the theology that God is watching you and if you don't do "the right thing" then you will be punished, would you still do good? As I have been pondering the thoughts and feelings on the faith of those around me, I have been wondering if it is God (or the idea of God) that makes us do (or be) good. Would mankind be better off with everyone having God in their life? The idea that you must do good, and be good, or you're life will be for not and you will be punished is quite compelling. Why not do or be good just because you want your life and the lives of those around you to be better?

As I have been pondering religion and my faith I have noticed that I am a lot more short tempered with certain people (like my grandpa, my aunt, and my sister) and I'll admit, it bothers me! These are people I love (most of the time) and care about (again, most of the time) and I want to be nice and build stronger relationships with them but it's so hard! Something just rubs me the wrong way. But I believe in the Four Agreements, the second of which is "don't take anything personally." With most people that is quite easy to do, and I live in the same way (hoping people don't take what I have to say personally). But I really hate it when people believe or say things about me that just aren't true! Like, I'm a martyr, or lazy, or a lair, or a whore, or whatever else isn't true. And maybe those things they say about me are true to them, but they aren't to me and I don't like the idea of other people who don't know me getting an idea of who I am based on fallacy. But in spite of people saying untrue things about me, I should still be nice to them, right? Especially if they are my family. I shouldn't feel such feeling of animosity but I do, and I wonder if it's because I'm not living my religion the way I should. Is it the absence of the Holy Spirit's constant companionship that is making me short tempered? Shouldn't I be a kind person either way?

I think that people should be nice, kind, compassionate, charitable, etc., because they want to be, not because they think that they will somehow be rewarded or saved for their efforts. That sort of "being good" is only self-serving and not from the heart. Do it because you want to, not because you think God is making you by holding your salvation over your head.

1 comment:

  1. I am loving the way your brain is working at this. I thought I was the only naturally introspective/analytical person in the family! ;-)

    Here are some ideas to think about. (no right or wrong, just thoughts)

    1- There is light and there is darkness. People want to be good/find truth because their soul is speaking to the light. That is separate from salvation.
    2- If that is fact that there is light and dark, then where do those 2 things come from?
    3- How much do your parents love you? Do they love you because you claim to be a 'mormon'? Or do they love you because you are their child? Is God's love contingent on your ability to make 'good chioces and be a good person?'
    4- The gospel was given to us so we have all the tools to help US find joy. If you take a walk on the 'wild side' and find pleasure or instant gratification, that can be fun, but joy and pleasure are not the same thing.
    5- If you believe what was said in 2, then you can't take God out of the equasion (being good because we want to be takes him out) because God is light. We are good because we are filled with the light of Christ, because God made our spirits, NOT solely because we WANT to be.
    6- Is it self serving if the person/entity you are being good for, has given you ALL that you have (literally)? In other words, can it be self serving when everything you have is borrowed anyway and thus not a 'reward'?
    7- Salvation isn't our 'reward' for righteous living...
    8- This one is opionion = yes, you are short tempered because you let some darkness in.
    9- God doesn't punish us, but there are consequences to our choices that can be perceived as punishment. In reality, everything we walk thru, good and bad, is a gift from God as an oppotunity to learn.
    10 - if the idea of God, or God himself weren't a part of human life, what is the point to life? Why are we living? If God wasn't in the picture, then life ends when we die, and THAT sucks.
    11- Why would you want the lives of those around you to be better? If you say because you love them, then where does love come from? God is light. God is love. Without God, there would be no good, and no desire to do good or be good, or love or help anyone, and thus, no point to life.

    Interesting concepts huh?!

    ReplyDelete